Image-empty-state.png

Pepper Pot Lighthouse

0

miles from The Highland Club

The lighthouse at Fort Augustus was built in 1840 to mark the entrance to the Caledonian Canal from South Loch Ness.

It stands on the east side of the canal, just a short distance from Fort Augustus Lock Flight – a lock staircase of five large canal locks. The lighthouse is readily accessible on foot via a short path along the banks of the canal.

The popular term ‘Pepperpot’ lighthouse is used to describe a particular type of small lighthouse that has an architectural style similar to a scaled-up salt or pepper shaker. The Caledonian Canal has three of this type of lighthouse, each comprising a short round tower with a conical roof. The Caledonian Canal Pepperpot lighthouses are the smallest lighthouses in Britain.

Please do take a look at the website for information on any events that are planned.