Invergarry Castle Ruins
miles from The Highland Club
Invergarry Castle was the seat of the Chiefs of the MacDonells of Glengarry,
a powerful branch of the Clan MacDonald. It was burned down in 1654 by
General Monk, then re-built c.1660-1665. After the 1745 uprising Invergarry
Castle was sacked and partially destroyed by troops under "Butcher"
Cumberland as part of the systematic suppression of the Highlands.