Image-empty-state.png

Caledonian Canal Centre

0.1

miles from The Highland Club

In 1822 - The 22 mile canal with its 29 locks was open. It had taken 12 years to build at a cost of £910,000, with Fort Augustus having a flight of 5 of the locks. It was built by Thomas Telford and first surveyed in 1773 by James Watt.

The canal was conceived to provide safe passage for shipping including the British Royal Navy, avoiding the dangerous route through the Pentland Firth and around Cape Wrath.

In 1873 Queen Victoria took a trip along the canal.

For more information please do take the time to visit the Caledonian Canal Centre located in the village for a brief history tour.

Caledonian Canal Centre
Canalside
Fort Augustus
PH32 4BA

01463 725581